After living in Boston for the summer, I gained a large appreciation for all the history and beauty of the East Coast. I've always loved that part of the country, but now it's grown from love to almost an obsession.My senior year of high school, my parents took me to England and France. I'm not sure why, but for as long as I can remember I've had this insatiable curiosity and magnetic attraction to France. I kept most of this inside of me because my senior year of high school was also the year that September 11th occurred. I wasn't about to get into an argument about the French when I was so clueless about politics.
As we flew to Paris in March, it took my breath away. I was in awe as my eyes caught the Arc d'Triomphe as we walked along the Champs Elysees. I dreamt as I stood atop the beautiful Eiffel Tower and marveled at the magnificence of Notre Dame. I was drawn into the Louvre by its enormously captivating art. I could not get enough of Versailles or Normandy. I could not believe how easily I fell in love with Le Mont St. Michel. We ate banana and European chocolate crepes in this stone monastery surrounded by ocean. I fell in love with its architecture, I fell in love with its food, I fell in love with the cafes and chocolate chaud. I fell in love with France at the age of 17. But falling in love is a strange thing.
Yes, France was indescribable and going there was an experience that I will be eternally grateful for. Yet, the most incredible thing that happened to me during that time was not what I expected. After spending two memorable weeks in France, I arrived at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix. I saw my American flag and cried my little American heart out. I felt like it would burst when I realized how much I love this country. I don't need to go to another country to see beautiful. I love the monuments that this country has to offer to its people.
I love our strength as a nation. I love our hills and our farmlands. I love our cities and rivers. I love our diverse people. I love our troops. I love our president. I love the Constitution just the way it is. I love our flag and what it stands for. I love our freedom. No one will take that away from me.
4 comments:
I was just waiting for Helena to burst out in song: "Cause I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. (I'm free!)"
Amen. God DOES bless America!
That was a wonderful trip Liz. Your comments brought back lots of memories of France. What a great place! But, I must agree with you, that there is still no place like America---the Beautiful. Mary
hey sis,
hows it been, im chillin right now, hey, i think that you shouold have me and jacob over for dinner sometime soon. allright i need to make a lesson for priesthood, bye!
Post a Comment