10.09.2005

Sancutary! Sanctuary!

I have to admit that it's a little bit frustrating when I think that my abode is a place where I can't paint the walls green, have richly dark hardwood floors and a cooshy couch, without a disposal or a microwave plate for that matter. However, I adore my bedroom. I have the world's greatest roommate ("Mitch", as I lovingly call her) and soft, good smelling, warm yellow, Egyptian cotton sheets. I have a duvet from Potterybarn, a quilt from Anthropologie, an irreplaceable mirror above my bed from Last Chance (a.k.a. "heaven") and this really cool blue trash can from Ross. I walk down the hall and there it is. There . . . my beloved sanctuary. Mitch keeps me very clean with her beautiful example and soft words. We have late night talks and giggles. She gives me wise advice just as we are off to bed. We even have a "routine". She usually is ready for bed before me and I turn off the light while she turns on the lamp (much better lighting). She usually pulls out whatever book she is reading (right now "Letters" by Marjorie Pay Hinckley) while I finish brushing my teeth. That blessed girl almost always waits up for me so I can discuss some thoughts I've had throughout the day. They are usually crazy, unorganized thoughts but she listens nonetheless. Mitch doesn't snore, she doesn't yell, she keeps everything in a box. She puts her shoes in the top drawer and wears sandals in the house. I am blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Mitch sounds wonderful. But it sounds like she isn't preparing you for marriage very well. You see, men aren't like that. But, they do make pretty darn good roommates! Just don't expect them to be tidy and organized, or wait up for you. But a good man will listen to you jabber while laying in bed in the dark, and even respond once in a while... until he falls asleep.

Anonymous said...

Wow, a tribute to me and our bedroom! This vacation I've been on almost made me forget what our room looked like!...j/k but 2 weeks, it's been a while. Well Lizzy you got to have your own bedroom again...just an extra big bed in the way of rearranging right! Have you continued our routine! I love being your roommate. We truly are soulmates, it was a blessing from above that we were brought together on the same path at the same time. I would say that others get jealous of our santuary in the back corner....they wonder what were laughing about behind the closed door....are we selfish to retreat to our simply wonderful little space?....nah, I like it that way! I'll be home soon Lizzy.
oh and p.s. I might just have to start snoring, throwing clothes on the floor, and leaving crusty food plates on the furniture just to prepare you for wifery...Alice is right, it's a whole new world when your roommate becomes a man!