12.16.2007

banana oatmeal blueberry muffins

I had fresh blueberries in my refrigerator this morning that I had to use. I also had bananas and oats but no eggs! I don't shop on Sunday so I had to make do. I found this wonderful recipe online. Don't forget to include the flax seed. I think it makes such a difference. I also didn't have applesauce handy so I substituted butter (which didn't mind because the flavor of real butter can't be replaced).

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup milk
2 cups mashed ripe bananas (approximately 4 bananas)
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened (this is where I used 1/2 cup butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten (optional) - I omitted the egg because I didn't have any. I bet it would be better with an egg though.
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I used whole wheat bread flour)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
2 Tablespoons flax seed, ground
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon stevia powder (can substitute 1/4 cup honey)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh

Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, combine oats and milk. Let sit while combining other ingredients. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas until you yield 2 cups. Add applesauce, vanilla extract and egg (if desired) to banana mixture. Add honey if using instead of stevia. Mix well. Add banana mixture to oat mixture, stirring to combine. In a large mixing bowl whisk together dry ingredients (flour through salt). Do not use regular whole wheat flour, it will be too dense. If you can't find whole wheat pastry flour, substitute bread flour. If you like the texture of chopped walnuts, wait until the final step and fold in along with the blueberries. Pour into greased muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes or until done.

1 comment:

Alisse Baldwin said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this recipe. It sounds awesome! Also, thanks for showing things that can be replaced in lieu of things I've never heard of. I wish all recipes had notes like that!