7.05.2007

On July 4th, 2007, I lost my wedding ring.

David and I spent the day with two of our favorite people: my cousin, Joseph, and his wife, Heather. We brought steaks over to a friend's house and sat around chatting and drinking blackberry Izze's. It was a grand time and since it was so terribly hot, we all jumped in the pool and played a game of volleyball. After 30 minutes or so, I set the ball to Joseph and caught a glimpse of my left hand. No ring.

I thought I might die. I tried not to make a huge scene but inside I was on the fritz. I said multiple prayers as we took turns with the goggles, looking in the drain at the bottom of the pool. Me and my slippery wet fingers had ruined the pool party while everyone and their dog, Buster, looked for the ring. (We even considered looking inside Buster for fear he had eaten it.)

Was it inside the drain suctioned into the black pipe? No.
Was it near the iPod where I had changed the music from Maritime to Maroon 5? No.
Was it anywhere on the bottom of that white plastered pool? No.
Was it in my swimsuit, hair, shorts, shoes, purse or bowl? No.
Was it on the other side of the yard resting in the dirt near the water fountain? YES! Oh, yes! It was!


Heather's best friend (and now mine), Kelly, caught a glimpse of something shiny in the most unlikely spot. As she explained, "I found it!" my heart started beating normally again and the tears that were starting to get hot stopped their near-flow. That night, I said,
". . . and thank You that Kelly found my wedding ring."

6 comments:

Michelle @ Twig said...

Ooh, you scared me there for a bit! I'm so glad you found it, and it sounds like your 4th turned out well!

Will Murdoch said...

I'm a friend of Alice's and really enjoy reading your blog. I don't even know you, but I had that sick stomach feeling thinking you might have lost your wedding ring. I'm glad your prayers were answered!

kt said...

whew!!!!!!

Julie said...

Hi Liz!!!! Remember me, Julie from SB Etc.?!? So glad you found your ring. That is by far the worst feeling ever! I love reading your blog, its so cute. You should stop by the store sometime, we would love to see you!

angiedunn said...

hey girl. so so glad you found your ring. that would certainly be a tragedy if it was gone foreva.

so, no...i don't really know where you could take calligraphy...but i will surely ask around for you...i know a couple of people that might know somethin'. i'll get back to you on that...

have a lovely day!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, girl! can i just tell you that I lost my wedding ring last summer and it was gone for an entire year! 365 days of aching sorrow in my heart and last week my mom called to tell me that she'd found it!!! in her house! in the carpet! isn't that amazing? so, i know we're strangers, but I feel a kinship with every woman who loses her wedding ring. and sorry for leaving 2 comments in one night. i won't be so pesky from here on out :)