7.03.2005

Sunday's Events

Wow! Today was the most incredible Sunday I think I've ever had! So, I made this friend. Her name is Mary Dudley. She is from Salt Lake and she is absolutely darling! We've become immediate friends and have been hanging out non-stop. Anyway, last night we went Harvard Square with some friends. As we were talking, she mentioned that Boston is hosting something called "Harbourfest". Apparently, it is a huge 4th of July celebration including tomorrow's events of the Boston Pops and famous firework display (which I am going to!). She had a pamphlet describing all the events of the past week and we saw that the Old North Church (where Paul Revere hung the lanterns to warn that the "British are coming") was having an Independence Day service at 9 a.m. So, she and I went to it this morning. It was really cool! It's an Episcopal church and the chapel is incredible. Each pew was really old and we saw that there were signs on some that said things like, "Theodore Roosevelt sat here". We were expecting it to be packed, but there were quite a few empty pews.

After that, we went to Copp's Cemetery which is one of the hills overlooking Boston Harbour. It's very pretty and the weather here has been GORGEOUS all weekend. It's supposed to be the best 4th of July weather they've had in, like, 20 years. We talked for a couple of hours and then I went to ward choir. For ward choir today, we went down to Harvard Square to sing patriotic hymns. We walked from the church down to the subway station and sang all the way. It was interesting to see how many people were responding to our singing. Most people really appreciated it and we handed out pass-a-long cards with the missionaries and ward missionaries. We were in the middle of one of the busiest places in the Boston area, singing hymns. Very cool.

Then, I went to church and enjoyed a wonderful fast and testimony meeting. I also get to be in charge of dinner next week. They finally found out that I'm a chef. It's about time! "Break the Fast" was pretty disgusting today. After church, Emily, Drew and I went to the Boston Temple and walked around the temple grounds. It's beautiful!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Liz, Last weekend's Wallstreet Journal listed the greatest Independence Day celebrations and of course Boston and DC were the tops. The Boston Pop concerts and fireworks sounded really great! I'm so glad you were able to go. Mary