5.28.2005

May 28, 2005 (IJ)

So, this is my journal for my internship and my journal for life all in one. First of all, work has been outrageously inconsistent. One minute I have NOTHING to do and the next I'm completely stressed out about how little time I have to do things. I guess that's the way things are in a kitchen outside of a school environment.

Today was a day of creativity and new experiences. I enjoyed it a lot! After doing a few monotonous things in the early part of the day, my boss told me to work in the pastry kitchen. The pastry kitchen is rarely used and I just spent as long as I wanted making stuff for Sunday brunch and a wedding tonight. I made some brownies with ganache, croissants, cinnamon rolls, cookies, muffins, scones and a few other puff pastries. It was pretty cool just being able to experiment with things. I had to arrange the brownies and cookies on a platter for the party, but it was such an ugly array of food. I tried to make it as interesting as I could. I took a mirror platter and cut the brownies into rectangles and then made a staircase around the border of the platter with the cookies in rows in the middle. Around the edges of the platter, I placed fanned strawberries for color. It looked pretty good, but it wasn't nearly as elaborate of a dessert as I would have liked to work on. Oh well.

The other cool thing that I made today were the country club's famous steak tips. They sell out almost every day. I spent 2 and a half hours cutting up the meat into one ounce portions to put on scewers. The best part of these steak tips is the marinade. It's Coca-Cola, soy sauce, duck sauce, plum sauce, ginger and salt and pepper. It's delicious!

When I get a digital camera I'll be able to post pictures of the things at work. I plan on doing that soon. So, until then I'll just keep writing about them.

No comments: