10.17.2007

{sherlock holmes - cafe rio edition}

Getting your lunch stolen at work is not fun. Especially when it's a leftover Cafe Rio salad and fresh strawberries. This morning, I put my lunch in the refrigerator right by my desk in the break room. The thought of heating up that soggy tortilla and wrapping the rest of my salad up into a little burrito sounded delightful and I had specially sliced those strawberries to a perfect size. I really love leftover Cafe Rio so today was going to be a really good lunch day.

About an hour later, I went into one of our manager's offices. Let's call him "Smitty". Smitty was showing me some project renderings on his computer and as he tried to locate the pictures on his laptop, I noticed his half open desk drawer had a Ziploc bag of fresh strawberries tucked inside. Most suspicious.

After a quick trip to the restroom, I opened the fridge to grab a bottle of water - no salad. No strawberries. I quickly interrogated the office manager, asking her if she had cleaned out the refrigerator that morning. The answer was no but her solution (after I told her about the suspicious strawberries at his desk) was to root through his desk drawers when he went to the bathroom. Not a good plan. So, I sent out an e-mail to the entire office staff that went like this, "I had a bag of fresh strawberries and a plate of food in a tin foil container that I put in the fridge this morning. It is now gone. Did anyone happen to take it or throw it away? Please let me know cause that's my lunch. Thanks."

Very simple-like.

A few minutes later, Smitty arrived at my desk with a bag of strawberries in his hand. "Elizabeth, this morning, I accidentally knocked over your salad onto the floor {my heart breaks a little} while reaching for a Diet Coke. I thought these strawberries were leftovers from yesterday. I'll buy you lunch if you want."

Well, Smitty, I don't want a new lunch. I want my Cafe Rio leftovers!

6 comments:

Michelle @ Twig said...

ooh great story but sad ending...an excited tummy is never re-satisfied..sorry!

Chase & Tricia said...

HA HA!!! I can appreciate the frustration of not having the expected delicious food you dreamed about for lunch. You're so funny.

RoLo said...

I thought you were going to go sifting through his desk, then get caught and the story would end with an epic battle.

Sorry about your yummy leftovers that are no more.

Erica said...

How DARE you Smitty. Doesn't he know Cafe Rio is sacred and should be treated with nothing but respect and reverence?

kemra said...

That stinks! THere is nothing worse than anticipating a delicious meal, and then not getting it! Sorry - I am going to watch that Daisy show tonight (can't remember the exact name - its been a long day) - I set it to record so I can watch it after the kiddos go to bed! Can I put them to bed at 6:45...Please?

Alisse Baldwin said...

At least he fessed up. The chubby employees at work always steal my food and will never confess. Even when they accidently spilled my obvious homemade gordita sauce on their white blouse. Hmph.