As most of you know, my brother (a.k.a."Strawbs") is getting married in Seattle in December. I am so excited for him . . . and for me cause I get to go! I love Seattle a lot and David has never been so we are planning on doing as many cool things as we can pack into 3 short days. These are the things I know I want to do:- have a breakfast of fresh strawberries and raspberries at Pike's every morning
- eat fish 'n chips at Ivar's (too touristy?)
- walk along the Pier and look at shops
I would love hike Mount Rainer but that will have to wait for another time since it will be December and too far away. I don't really care about the Space Needle (although walking by might be necessary to satiate David's construction interests). I also think it would be awesome to do a whale watching tour through the Seattle Aquarium but we don't have that kind of time or money. So, do any of you Seattle-living (or loving, for that matter) readers out there have any great ideas of fun things to do that are inexpensive and within the city? We also LOVE to eat so whoever recommends a good restaurant wins!
11 comments:
TAKE ME WITH YOU! I have never been to Seattle either. Just a litte jealous over here! Congrats on the wedding!
We were there for a wedding just a few weeks ago. (The temple is beautiful.) Walking around the Space Needle is cool (the in-laws paid to go up, I would agree that it's not really worth it), because the Experience Music Project/ Science Fiction Museum is right by it. Cool Gehry architecture. If you're really into music or science fiction, they are cool. But, I'm not so into it, so I walked around bored as my husband got his fix rocking out.
I don't have any suggestions but can I be the 3rd wheel! ;o)
Hmmm where do I start...
Food:
~Pike's Chowder(hole in the wall, but really good)
~Schuckers
~Elliots
~Kowloon(China Town)
Activites:
~REI flagship store(You can rock climb in the store)
~Gameworks Arcade
~Alki Beach(you will have to take a little boat across the sound, but if you can it is really nice)
~UW campus (If David likes architecture there are some really cool buildings and it is just across the highway from downtown)
Let me know if you need more, and I want to see you at least for a minute or two. You can't be in the same town and not see me. I will meet you somewhere if you wish.
While you are at Pike Market you must, MUST, MUST, visit World Spice. They will grind a madras curry for you to order.
You have to promise to go there, it's the one stop you can't miss. World Spice has all of the spices that you've heard of but have never been able to find at the grocery store--and for way cheaper too.
Pick up a couple different curry blends to give out as Christmas presents.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Shopping shopping and more shopping.
Also since you will have to travel down I-90 to the temple there is this really good Jewish restaurant at Factoria, which is on your way there. Also if you have a need for Greek I can tell you two different places to go in Bellevue, a little out of the way, but not bad. But oh geeze then Bellevue is a different story when it comes to things to do. So much, Ahhh I'm going nuts. I forgot about all of this stuff. Oh yeah and don't forget that Asian cuisine is crazy up here so if you have the need for Pho or any type of teriyaki just look to your left (or right) and you will find a place. *with a starbucks right next to it*
Right above Pike Place (about a block up), I will have to look up the name and address, there is a local bagel place that is too die for. Soups, pizza and regular bagels, etc. Super cheap too. Also, in Pike there is a European Grocery store (tiny) so you can get some yummy cookies/cheeses/breads for cheap. Right outside that store, there is a donut hole seller. It's all the rage. Pike itself is actually really quite large. The needle is cool, but basically it is just a view of the city. The aquarium is really nice. The little train thing is nothing special but you can go to a Nordstrom Rack that has pretty good deals. There is a REALLY good art museum in Seattle and a fun "Underground" tour of Seattle too. My favorite things about Seattle are definitely Pike and the aquarium. I would really encourage you to check out that Really large museum too if you get the chance.
What am I thinking? YOU HAVE TO TAKE A FERRY RIDE! It leaves right by the aquarium area and takes you across to a quaint residential area. It is beyond cheap and really a beautiful little trip.
Pike Place Bagel Bakery
1525 1ST Ave
Seattle, WA 98101-1548
Phone: (206) 382-4297
I love seattle it is totally one of my favorite cities. You've already named most of my favorites. Pikes is the best...actually funny enough I saw your parents there and your brother marcus a couple years back. haha. One more thing to add though is vintage shopping on broadway. THis road has a lot of cute shops all in a row with cute old coats and dresses and treasures. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I think it's yours. YOu can just google vintage in seattle to find out more details....very cute stuff.
If you want to hike, but can't make it to Mt. Rainier, try Mt. Si in North Bend. It's a great little hike and North Bend is gorgeous! Check it out at www.mountsi.com
Post a Comment