9.07.2007

air

The day my sister died was the same day our niece, Isabel, was born. My sister gave her new daughter the middle name of "Charity" to remember her. My sister's mother-in-law delivered her grand-daughter that morning and had spent many hours comforting and rubbing the aches and pains that my other sister had dealt with for two years. On this day of life and death, she wrote a poem describing how one took their last breath and one took their first.

Today, I found out that C Jane is expecting a baby. She and her husband have been painfully tried for years with infertility. She has received mountains of happy wishes, praise and loving rejoices from friends, family and strangers after this heartwrenching journey.

Today, about 20 minutes ago, David's grammy died with her two sons next to her. It was quiet and very solemn and there were no smiles or tears of joy. I'm sure there were wishes still, praises of what a wonderful woman she was and rejoices that she could be reunited with her family again with no pain. Although Courtney's little baby has yet to take its first breath, many lives will end and many will begin with air.

Today, I am appreciating each breath I take.

8 comments:

Carina said...

Life is beautiful.

Alisse Baldwin said...

Thanks for some beautiful words to start my day, Lizzie. I need reminders once in a while like this, so I thank you.

Michelle @ Twig said...

mmmmmmhhh...in the most humble and sincere way.

Anonymous said...

you're beautiful!

RoLo said...

Thanks I really needed this.

Alisse Baldwin said...

If you're ears are ringing, it may be because I've mentioned you and your wonderful-ness on my oh-so-ordinary blog. Thanks again for making my day!

Anonymous said...

On May 4th, 16 years ago, my grandfather died and later that day, my cousin gave birth to her son, Ryan -- A similar situation to your sister's death and niece's birth. To me, it has always stood as a symbol not just of the frailty of life, but also of its resilience and rejuvenation.

Case said...

i loved this liz. yes, reminders like this help us to keep clear in our minds what a gift life is. thanks girl.