6.05.2007

Have I mentioned that my husband loves Meat Loaf?

Not to worry. I don’t mean the loaf-like meat dish consisting of seasoned ground meat usually topped with a tomato sauce. Oh no, I mean Meat Loaf the 1970’s American rock singer (and actor – did ya know?)

Last weekend, we had Joseph and Heather over to our house after dinner for a little dessert and games. Somehow we got on the subject of David’s love for Meat Loaf and how he knows every word to the song “I’d Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That)” and “Objects In The Rear View Window May Appear Closer Than They Are (better known as “My Best Friend Kenny”). David went on to tell us how his favorite song in high school was “My Best Friend Kenny” and how if you say that phrase to his mom she’ll know exactly what you mean. Really.

I think our relationship with our favorite couple friends would have been fine if my husband would have only admitted to loving this freaky rock star’s music, but then I put in a Meat Loaf CD and my husband proceeded to follow along with Meat Loaf’s monologue of “Wasted Youth”. Here’s a preview of what you missed (read with avengance):
“I remember everything!

I remember everything little thing, as if it happened yesterday
I was barely seventeen, and I once killed a boy with a fender guitar
I don’t remember if it was a telecaster or a stratocaster
But I do remember that it had a heart of chrome, and a voice like a horny angel
I don’t remember if it was a telecaster or a stratocaster
But I do remember that it wasnt at all easy . . .”

And then, there’s me. I have recently fallen in love with John Denver all over again and I don’t even care what you think. His voice is a dream and his melodies are simple and pleasant. It just makes me smile and reminds me of wonderful memories at the cabin, listening to “Fly Away” and “Annie’s Song” as we laid on silky blankets with the windows open and a fan breeze above our heads. I guess I like soothing music and John Denver is the epitome of the genre. David is a true man and appreciates “tough guy music” – whatever that means. I can appreciate “My Best Friend Kenny”. It’s one of Meat Loaf’s more soothing melodies but the words are deceitfully depressing. Why does he like this song? I don’t know but this one’s for you baby:

The skies were pure and the fields were green
And the sun was brighter than it's ever been
When I grew up with my best friend Kenny
We were close as any brothers than you ever knew
It was always summer and the future called
We were ready for adventures and we wanted them all
And there was so much left to dream and so much time to make it real
But I can still recall the sting of all the tears when he was gone
They said he crashed and burned
I know I'll never learn why any boy should die so young
We were racing, we were soldiers of fortune
We got in trouble but we sure got around
There are times I think I see him peeling out of the dark
I think he's right behind me now and he's gaining ground
But it was long ago and it was far away, oh God it seems so very far

And if life is just a highway, then the soul is just a car
And objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are
And objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are . . .

2 comments:

Michelle @ Twig said...

oh, laughter and awes all in one reading!
....and i'll admit i've been listening to john's sunshine song lately. it doesn't get better than that.

angiedunn said...

Meatloaf? that ROCKS!! Dude, I'm liking your husband more & more! He is nice AND likes awesome songs/singers that are a MAJOR blast from the past!