"Liz, you can teach the kids how to make something and have a tea party with them and dress them and make jewelry with them and be a nice aunt.", my mother said to me this morning while I sat at the computer in my comfy purple Paris pajama pants. I groaned with an immature nature that I have tried all these years to suppress. As soon as she left the room in a state of exasperation, I felt . . . guilt.
Well, today we had a tea party at Grandma's house. We made whole wheat scones with powdered sugar, dressed in frilly costumes, ate cucumbers and carrots and cheese, drank apple cider and decorated the tables with linens and the teddy bear tea set. The kids laughed and told jokes. Cal had a great time rolling the scones in sugar. Andrew came over and screamed because it was time for a nap.
Grandpa woke up from his nap and ate a sandwich in the kitchen. Madalyn, Savannah and Perry talked in "Southern Belle" accents. ("Would you be a dear and pahhhhhhss the sugaaaaa?") The boys made up crass words to Christmas songs. It was a grand time for all.
No comments:
Post a Comment