Four years ago today, my sister died of cancer leaving her husband and 2 month old baby here in mortality. This sweet little boy, Jonah, has never known his mother in the way that Charity and I knew our mother. But he still knows her. I know she comes to him at special moments. I know he feels her presence when he sees her picture or when we talk about her. And, sleep. I believe sleep brings moments of closeness to my dear sister. It is her commemoration day and I would typically drive down to the cemetery and visit her grave. Instead, I am blogging this poem. Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there.
I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that swiftly blow.
I am the diamond glint on newly fallen snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the soft and gentle autumn rain.
When you wake from sleep in the early morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft, starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there.
I do not sleep.
2 comments:
Your blog reminds of the day my uncle died leaving his wife in terrible distress. and worst of all his 3 yr old daughter.
Lizzy, I know that you were a wonderful mother figure to Jonah. What a neat opportunity. I'm sure that your sister Charity watched down on you and Jonah and was so thankful that you were willing to do such. Jonah thankfully has a family, and a righteous one at that, to help him learn of his mother and her amazing being. He will then be with her again some day.
Post a Comment