
I read this book. Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech, it is called. "A book review?", you ask. Don't fret. I simply wanted to say that this book affected me. It is the kind of book that you read a line or two and need to put it down to think about its influence. I did, anyway. Oddly enough, this book is of the young adult (or juvenile) fiction genre. I loved a lot about this book. One part in particular made me think: "I still fish in the air sometimes. It seems to me that we can't explain all the truly awful things in the world like war and murder and brain tumors, and we can't fix these things, so we look at the frightening things that are closer to us and we magnify them until they burst open. Inside is something that we can manage, something that isn't as awful as it had at first seemed. It is a relief to discover that although there might be axe murderers and kidnappers in the world, most people seem a lot like us: sometimes afraid and sometimes brave, sometimes cruel and sometimes kind. I decided that bravery is looking Pandora's box full in the eye as best you can, and then turning to the other box, the one with the smoothbeautiful fold inside . . . ". I am not a particularly brave person by nature. I am scared of dark cliffs and dark spirits. I am deathly afraid of messing up things that are important. I am scared that I will be the only person in my family that makes a big mistake. I also say mean things sometimes and don't love people I should. However, I think I am fairly brave. I am not very scared of bees. I am not scared of speaking in public. I am not afraid of speaking my mind or confronting fear, but I used to be. I used to be such a follower. I never had the guts to disagree. I guess you could say that I'm growing into myself and that's a good feeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment