6.09.2005

June 9, 2005 (IJ)

This has to be pretty short because I have to clean up my apartment and myself before I pick Stephen up from the airport in Rhode Island.

I wrote Eddie a "thank you" card in Spanish yesterday. He brought it into the 19th Hole and was showing it to all the other Spanish speaking workers. I was so embarrassed. They kept laughing and saying, "From Elizabet?" They thought my attempt to speak their language was really cute or something. Sheesh. I had my friend, Jared (served in Mexico), translate it for me. It couldn't have been that bad.

As I have previously mentioned, there are a lot of foreign people at my work. The other day, I made a CD for my friend, Ramona. She is from Romania and when I gave it to her, she hugged me and kissed me on the neck. It really tickled and I thought it was funny. Then today, after Eddie read the note I gave him, he kissed me on the check. I love that other cultures do that. It's so personal and sweet. I think we, as Americans, have such an unnecessary "bubble" that makes us apart from each other and destroys the ties that we should have as countrymen and human beings.

I worked with Eddie all day today instead of in the Grille Room. I like working with Eddie. He's so funny and he's trying to teach me English. We just did all the normal stuff we always do, but the special today was Crab cakes. Chad bought a TON of crab and has been trying to get rid of it. It's been funny seeing their desperate attempts to get it off their hands. It's gone through various menus and prices, but we actually sold some today. I think he was relieved. I also just found out that I get an employee price (50% off) at the Pro shop. So, I can get golf clubs for really cheap! Whoopie!

No comments: