6.29.2005

June 29, 2005 (IJ)

It was a good day at work. However, it was "steak and cigar night" and I stink! There were about 30 men there with their huge cigars, glasses of scotch and vodka and 14 ounce steaks. It was pretty ridiculous. It was pretty cool because Chad let me have one of the sirloin steaks. It was incredible. I am not a big steak person, but I was really hungry and they were selling them for $50, so I figured they must be pretty good steaks. It was the best steak I've ever had! I learned a lot from watching Chad tell the doneness just by touching it. That takes a lot of practice. He told me today that he never went to culinary school. He started as a dishwasher at age 13 and then just worked his way up. He's such a good guy. I like him a lot and I feel incredibly blessed to have this internship! I'm learning so much and I feel like I will do a lot better in my classes next semester due to this experience.

I also had a fresh fig today. I've never had one before. Chad bought a case of them and was selling them for a dollar at the "snack shack" (a little place out on the golfcourse). We had a lot of down time so he and I drove a golf cart out there and he gave me a couple of them. I remember how much I loved Fig Newtons as a kid. I still do actually. Fresh figs are really good though.

No comments: